Wednesday 29 August 2012

Let's talk about blueberry pie.


Actually, let's start off by talking about blueberries. I present you with an amalgamation of my blueberry-related memories/knowledge.


1) Does anybody remember the children's book 'Blueberries for Sal'*? That's what I think of every time I eat blueberries. Despite being written in the late 1940s, it was seemingly still super popular in the early 90s. Because I went to an American school until I was 7, and hung out with mainly American kids, this book was read to me at practically every sleepover I went to. It was also heavily reenacted by us in pretend play. Nobody ever wanted to be the bears.

*Quick plot summary for all the non-North Americans out there who have no idea what I'm on about: little Sal goes blueberry picking with her mum. At the same time, a bear cub and his mum are out eating berries in preparation for the winter. Sal and cub wander off, and both accidentally end up following the wrong mum. The book is for kids, so it obviously ends on a happy note, i.e. not realistically at all (which would probably be Sal getting mauled, bear cub getting shot with mum's Marlin rifle).

2) It is now widely known that in addition to being delicious, blueberries are also super healthy. As a preteen, I found out via my dad's Men's Health magazine that they're good for prostates. Great! I was then informed that I do not have a prostate. Never mind. Apparently they're a superfood for both boys and girls.

3) Blueberries are expensive in the UK. Wahhhh.

4) Blueberries make a lot of things more delicious. We all know this. Think pancakes, muffins, yoghurt, granola. Also, salad. Believe it.

5) Pie is also a great excuse to eat blueberries. Or is it the other way around? 

Whatever. Anyway. PIE.




The award for the best pie maker ever goes to my mum's good friend Kathy, who writes a darn good food blog with her siblings. She is the goddess of pie. And a few years ago she passed her pie knowledge onto my mum. Obviously I begged mum to teach me, too.

Here is how you pie. The link leads to Kathy's recipe for the crust. The rest is jotted down below.

Thank you Kathy!

Just an excuse to show off pretty nail polish from OPI's new Spiderman collection. 

For the filling:

- 4 cups blueberries ( Or any kind of fruit for that matter, if blueberry pie really isn't your thing. Frozen fruit works as well, by the way. Baking times will change though.)

- 1 cup sugar

- 1/4 cup cornflour

Assembly:

While the dough chills, prepare your filling by mixing the 3 ingredients together in a big bowl. Super easy, right?

Divide the dough into 2/3 for the bottom crust, and 1/3 for the top crust. Roll out the bottom crust on a well-floured surface, and ease it into a 9 or 10 inch pan. Trim the edges.


Next, pour the filling into the pan, distributing it evenly. Roll out the top crust and cover the pie with it, crimping the ends. Press together the edges further using fork tines. Sprinkle the top with water, then dust with some extra sugar.

My berries were frozen, which is why this looks somewhat odd.

Make a concentrical pattern in the top crust with a knife before sprinkling the sugar.

Bake at 220 degrees for the first 10 minutes, then at 190 degrees for 50 more minutes, or until the crust is golden.


The piece on the right is mine.
Mega props to my mum for helping with the photos ("MOOOOOOMCANYOUTAKEAPICTURE?").

1 comment:

  1. I need to stop reading your blog when I'm hungry...

    ReplyDelete