Thursday 23 August 2012

Everybody must get sconed!


Hello from Northern Michigan! I'm making the most of these 10 days of freedom before heading back to London to start New Job. This involves being somewhat outdoorsy during the day, watching the Boardwalk Empire box set all night every night, and spending some time in the kitchen again. And assaulting you all with terrible Bob Dylan song lyric puns, apparently. Forgive me. It comes a bit too naturally when I'm around my dad. 

I've been coming Up North since I was tiny. It has everything a kid could possibly want - woods, wide open spaces, lakes, lots of other kids, and a place to play mini golf. Oh the memories. Not much here has changed over the past 22 years. Coming back is like travelling back in time, only now I'm a slightly taller kid who can drink, and drive a automatic car badly.* I still enjoy the mini golf (it's pirate themed, can you blame me?), and I still wander around in the woods. Only now I no longer pretend I'm Pocahontas.

What can I say, it's a special place. Aww. Anyway. Moving on.

Let's make cheddar and spring onion scones! 

I wrote down this recipe ages ago from somewhere, but I altered it by making these savoury instead of sweet. An excellent idea, if I do say so myself. I reckon substituting cracked black pepper for the spring onions would also be yum. Just do yourself a favour and use mature cheddar. None of that "mild" crap. Gross.

Oh yeah, also, the camera broke. I took this as an excuse to use my dad's iPhone. Hello Instagram!

Hi.


You will need:

- 270 g all-purpose flour

- 1 1/4 tsp baking powder

- 3/4 tsp baking powder

- 1 tsp salt

- 2 tsp sugar

- 90 g cold unsalted butter, cut up

- 90 g mature cheddar cheese, grated

- 2 large spring onions, finely sliced

- 350 ml heavy cream



























Preheat oven to 190 degrees celcius. Line a baking tray with wax paper, or grease it.

Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and sugar together. Cut the cold butter into the mixture with a pastry blender (or your fingers) until it resembles coarse crumbs. Stir the cheese in. Add the cream and stir until the dough just comes together. Add the spring onion last, incorporate but don't overstir. 






With your hands, drop palm-sized mounds of dough onto the tray, leaving enough room in between the scones. Bake until golden brown, for approximately 20 minutes. Let the scones cool on a wire rack until the are warm before eating.





*(Disclaimer: I obviously don't do these things at the same time. Don't drink and drive. Or whatever the message is that I'm supposed to put here.)

No comments:

Post a Comment